Lakers' Bryant unhappy with Odom trade


MANILA, Philippines - Los Angeles Lakers superstar guard Kobe Bryant was not happy about the team's decision to trade versatile forward Lamar Odom to the Dallas Mavericks.

"I don't like it," Bryant said in an interview with ESPN.com. "To be honest with you, I don't like it."


"I've known Lamar for a long time and for the team itself, he's meant a lot in terms of his versatility and his personality. He's a big presence for us in the locker room, just from a team chemistry standpoint," he added.

"He's great at bringing guys together and things of that nature."

Odom was traded to the Mavericks for an $8.9-million trade exception and a 2012 first-round pick. He was also supposed to be part of a trade for New Orleans Hornets' point guard Chris Paul, which fell through last weekend when NBA commissioner David Stern blocked the trade.

Bryant said he did not understand why Odom was traded, especially coming off an outstanding season wherein he averaged 14.4 points, 8.7 rebounds and 3 assists per game. He was also vital in the Lakers' title runs in 2009 and 2010.
"You're talking about the Sixth Man of the Year last year," Bryant said. "He played lights out. I don't understand the criticism of reality shows and this, that and the other. I don't get it. I don't understand that."

Odom had participated in a reality TV show with his wife, Khloe Kardashian, but Bryant said this did was not a distraction in any way for Odom or the team.

"He had his best season last season, clearly wasn't a distraction... I don't get where that comes from," Bryant said.
The former NBA MVP was especially angry that the Lakers decided to deal Odom to the Dallas Mavericks, the team that had swept them out of the playoffs in the second round last season and eventually went on to win the NBA title.

"I don't think (Mavs owner) Mark Cuban is protesting this trade," Bryant said.

But Bryant says he will continue to support Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak and the team management. "I trust management knows what they're doing," he said.

"I'll let them do their jobs and I'll never get in the way of it, but it's tough," Bryant added. "Look, Mitch has proven himself over the course of the years that he's been able to build a great team here. We have to all trust that he's going to do that."

Comments