Spain’s Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano won the US$1 million Barclays Singapore Open play-off on the second extra hole early on Monday after storms forced the players to endure an agonizing overnight wait.
The 31-year-old from Madrid seized victory with a nine-foot birdie putt on the par-five 18th hole as
The conclusion was witnessed by just a smattering of fans at Sentosa Golf Club who braved a 7:30 am start after the play-off was twice interrupted and finally postponed a day earlier amid torrential rain and lightning strikes.
Pagunsan, 33, had a golden chance to deliver the Philippines’ maiden European Tour win on the first extra hole on Monday but he pushed his five-foot birdie putt just left.
Juvic missed a 10-footer on the second hole and Fernandez-Castano made him pay as he drained his putt for his fifth European Tour victory and his first in three years.
“This is probably the most nervous I’ve ever been on a golf course,” said Fernandez-Castano, who ad-mitted he had been unable to sleep on Sunday night.
“I got lucky, I have to say. He had a very good putt on the first hole which he deserved to have holed. Fortunately for me he didn’t. But that’s golf, play-offs are like that.”
Juvic said he knew his chance was gone as soon as his first-hole putt crept wide. But he was delighted to have shot to the top of the Asian money list with his US$666,660 second prize.
“I thought, ‘this is my big chance’,” said the Filipino. “But I missed it. But I’m still a big winner.” -Manila Times
Comments
Post a Comment